What To Do In Case Of An Electric Shock And How To Help Without Putting Yourself In Danger

Have you ever experience a mild electric shock? Electrical shocks are burn injuries caused by a live electric current that came from your appliances or electric sockets or cable wires. An estimated number of 500 to a thousand people die from electrical shock injuries each year in the United States. Most of the cases are occupation-related such as electricians, construction people, and engineers.

What To Do In Case Of An Electric Shock And How To Help Without Putting Yourself In Danger

Electrical injuries may be resistible if the electrical voltage that passes your body is minimal. But if you accidentally make close contact with an open electrical current in a long duration of time, the result could be disastrous. It could result in severe burn injuries and would literally make your heartbeat stop. Most often, the result could be fatal such as death.

Most electrical burns often occur in the hands, feet, and head. The amount of voltage that will pass to the body will undoubtedly cause internal damage such as the body’s various organs. High voltage contact may also cause the clothes to ignite and put the victim on fire while unconscious. What to do if you see a person that accidentally suffers electrical shock? This article will help teach you how to apply first aid to a victim of electric shock.

The first thing to do is not to touch the victim right away because the victim might still be in contact with an electric current that can pass through your body. Be aware of the victim’s surroundings so that you can avoid injuring yourself. Remember that you cannot help the victim if you can be a victim yourself.

Once you confirm that the patient is not in contact with any live electricity, see if the victim is conscious or not and make sure that the victim’s clothes are not burning. In case if the victim is still in contact with the live wire, you may use non-conducting materials to knock the victim’s hand free from the electric source. Items such as woods, your shoes, towel, and even your bag can definitely help put any electrical conductor from the victim.

Once you break the current from the victim’s body, check if the patient has a pulse and never move the patient because the victim might suffer other probably injuries while falling to the ground. The best option is to call for help for additional assistance.

If no one can help you right away, check if the victim is breathing and have a pulse. Electric shocks cause the heart to stop functioning, which results in being unconscious and halt their normal breathing process. You have to do CPR right away if there is nobody that can help you, and this is very crucial for the victim’s life. Any moment that is wasted can be fatal and may cause severe and permanent injuries or even death.

After doing CPR and you manage to normalize the victim’s breathing process, cover the victim with non-conducting materials like blankets or your own clothes such as a shirt and jacket. It is best to turn off the power box or fuse box to stop any electrical current in the area. This is best if the location is within the house of the victim.

Stay with the victim until medical help arrives. Do not leave the patient alone and make sure that the area is clear from any more electrical harm.

Remember that being aware of these valuable tips in treating a victim of electrical shock can help save a life. Electrical shocks are serious injuries that must be avoided at all times. Make sure that your home is free from any live electrical current that can come from appliances and electric sockets. Keep yourselves and your children safe all the time by doing this basic maintenance in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

List of Top 10 Most Brutal And Hated Dictators in Modern History

10 Thanksgiving Fun Facts You Should Know